Mining Access Legal offers commercial, practical and pragmatic legal advice to exploration and mining companies. Get to know our team and how we can support you on your next project.
Our experience is your advantage
Mining Access Legal is a boutique law firm, established in 2017, that provides clear, commercial and cost-effective legal advice to the mining industry.
Staffed by a number of former top-tier lawyers and a Principal who has worked both in private practice and in-house at an ASX listed iron ore producer, Mining Access Legal guides and supports its clients through their exploration and mining projects.
We aim to deliver quality, reliable and industry specific legal advice to the resources sector, at a highly competitive price. Our team is comprised of an experienced and reputable group of lawyers and professionals, who came together to deliver legal services in a refreshingly friendly, practical and down-to-earth manner. Our approach means clients can take advantage of quality advice, at an affordable price.
We only support exploration and mining companies, which means that unlike other firms, our core practice is aligned with your business. We are also active members of AMEC (Association of Mining and Exploration Companies) and a number of our team members are involved in committees and organisations specific to the mining industry – so we are always on the pulse and responsive to changes in industry practice.
Our clients are proponent based and include:
- small to mid-cap listed companies
- private, high wealth individuals/organisations
- ASX listed companies
- TSX listed companies
Our experience includes advising:
- Anax Metals Limited with the acquisition of an 80% interest in the Whim Creek Project
- Anax Metals Limited with the negotiation of the terms of a funding arrangement with Anglo American plc
- Orange Minerals NL with the acquisition of the Majestic Project in Western Australia, including drafting of the Solicitor’s Report and providing ongoing assistance with negotiation of land access agreements and native title and heritage advice
- Iceni Gold Limited with the acquisition of the 14 Mile Well Gold Project and Guyer Well Gold Project and subsequent listing on the Australian Securities Exchange
- Evolution Mining Limited with native title and heritage negotiations with the Marlinyu Ghoorlie Native Title Claimant Group regarding its Mungari Project
- Private entity on the development of its large-scale renewable energy Bitcoin mining facility at the Que River Mine Site in Tasmania
- Caspin Resources Limited with the negotiation of a land access and compensation agreement with relevant private land owners regarding its Yarawindah Project
- Junior mineral exploration company on obtaining a clearing permit to authorise the clearing of native vegetation on exploration licence
- One of the world’s leading precious metals mining royalty company with the ongoing maintenance of its royalty portfolio over projects in Australia
- Small cap exploration company with the development of world’s highest-grade titanium and vanadium project by assisting in obtaining grant of ancillary tenure for construction of critical infrastructure and assisting with provision of water to project
- Junior mineral exploration and development company with the advancement of its nickel project, including providing advice on ongoing obligations under various mineral rights agreements and split commodity agreements
- Experienced mineral exploration and development company with strategic advice regarding haulage activities and coordination of haulage activities with mineral rights partners
Hayley is the Managing Partner of Mining Access Legal and leads the team in delivering clear and commercial advice to its resources clients.
Hayley has been advising exploration and mining companies for two decades, both in private legal practice and as General Counsel and Company Secretary for an ASX listed iron ore producer. She has a practical and direct approach, and a reputation as a leader in her field.
Hayley also serves on the government’s Resource Industry Consultation Committee (RICC) (formerly known as MILC) and is a member of AMEC’s Mining Legislation and Aboriginal Affairs Committees.
Sarah joined Mining Access Legal in July 2019 from a top tier international law firm, where she worked as a corporate lawyer in the resources sector.
Sarah has extensive experience in the mining and oil and gas sectors. She has advised clients on joint venture agreements, key mine operating and infrastructure agreements (including offtake agreements, rail haulage agreements and camp services agreements), supply chain arrangements and royalty arrangements.
Sarah has worked with clients on secondment to their in-house legal teams. She also has significant experience with Australia’s foreign investment (FIRB) regime.
Amy joined Mining Access Legal in August 2021 from an international law firm, where she worked as a commercial litigation and arbitration lawyer in the resources sector.
Amy is an experienced resources disputes lawyer, having worked on a number of major mining and oil and gas disputes in the State and Federal Courts. She also has extensive experience in alternative dispute processes, including mediation and arbitration, assisting clients to achieve commercial and creative solutions.
Amy also has experience in business management and therefore always approaches legal problems with a practical and commercial lens, backed by a thorough understanding of her client’s business.
Claire joined Mining Access Legal in June 2018 from the land access and approvals team of a leading global law firm.
She is an experienced regulatory approvals and compliance lawyer, having worked on a number of major Western Australian mining, oil & gas and infrastructure projects.
Claire is a member of AMEC’s Environment and Water Committee and a past President of the WA branch of the National Environmental Law Association. She has also previously served as a member of CME’s Land Access Committee and Native Title & Aboriginal Heritage Working Group, and as a tutor for the environment unit of the AMPLA UWA Mining Law Workshop.
Tegan joined Mining Access Legal in January 2023 as a Lawyer following her relocation from Brisbane in 2022.
Tegan has a broad range of experience in various areas of law, having commenced her legal career in the commercial insurance and personal injuries industry.
Tegan enjoys assisting clients to obtain land access and approvals across all areas of exploration and mining, specialising in Native Title and Aboriginal heritage law, and Mining Act compliance.
Tegan graduated from Griffith University in 2019 and was admitted to the Supreme Court of Queensland in December 2019.
Rebecca joined Mining Access Legal as a Paralegal in August 2019 before transitioning to her role as Lawyer in December 2023. Rebecca has over 6 years of experience in the energy and resources sector and assists clients with land access, Mining Act compliance, Native Title and Aboriginal heritage advice and general commercial advice specific to mining and exploration.
Rebecca graduated from Curtin University in 2022 with degrees in Law and Arts (International Relations) and was admitted to the Supreme Court of Western Australia in December 2023.
Jillian joined Mining Access Legal in February 2022 as a Paralegal. Jillian brings with her over eleven years of experience in the legal field including seven years as a paralegal for a top tier firm in Scotland, specialising in licensing and real estate.
On her move to Australia, Jillian joined the resources/land access team at an international firm in a legal support role, where she also expanded her skillset in disputes resolution. Jillian graduated from Glasgow Caledonian University with a BA (Hons) in Law and Administration in 2004.
Iva is the General Manager of Mining Access Legal and assists the Principal with the management of the business and day to day operational matters.
Iva graduated from the University of Western Australia with a Bachelor of Laws (Distinction) and a Bachelor of Arts. She has consulted to the mining industry for over 10 years and was involved in the initial set up and management of Mining Access Legal.
Janette holds a Bachelor of Accounting and Mathematics from Leicester University, U.K. She has 30 years’ experience in the field of accounting, across a diverse range of commercial, financial and operational activities. She has managed the MMTS accounts since joining in 2009.
Ian joined the team in May 2023 as Assistant Accountant. With a Diploma of Economics, Ian has over 30 years financial management experience, with a bulk of this experience in legal practice.
How can we help you?
Mining Access Legal can assist you in the following areas:
Mining, Energy and Resources
End-to-end legal advice and support for all mining projects, from tenement application through to decommissioning and rehabilitation
Strategic advice in relation to land access processes, miners’ rights, mining access agreements and pastoral access agreements
Foreign Investment (FIRB)
Advice on Australia’s foreign investment (FIRB) regime and related acts and regulations
Regulatory Approvals and Compliance Advice
Advice on regulatory approvals and compliance, including objections under the Mining Act and Warden’s Court matters
Advice on environmental approvals and compliance under State and Commonwealth legislation
How can we help you? Get in touch for a discussion about your project.
- Get in touch with us today
- We arrange an obligation-free consultation where we can come to you
- We learn about your organisation and the specific requirements of your project
- We guide you through the relevant legal process and support you in any way we can